My all time favourite sandwhich – comfort food perfection. I stand by what I have said previously; the messier the sandwhich, the better it’s likely to taste. Grab a wad of kitchen roll, it doesn’t get much better than this.
Tips to achieve kimchi grilled cheese perfection:
- Make sure your butter is at room temperate so you can generously spread it on your bread without tearing craters into it.
- Pick your bread with love and care. White is the only option here for me but not just any white. Avoid plastic wonder-style bread and go for a classic country farmhouse loaf which will give you a pleasing contrast in textures between the soft centre and crisp crust.
- Use a good quality kimchi or even better, use your own homemade stash. Here’s my best-ever kimchi recipe.
- If hanger is about to strike and you don’t want to make your own kimchi mayonaise, simply mix a splash of kimchi juice and black sesame seeds (if you have them) into shop bought mayo.
- Experiment with your cheeses but also pick carefully. I have chosen mature cheddar, smoked cheddar, gruyere and Raclette as it gives me the optimum combination of sharpness, flavour, cheesiness and melty ooze.
- Use good quality sea salt and fresh black pepper to season your bread – it makes a difference.
- Watch your sandwhich cook with a hawk eye. Flip, squash and move around as you see fit.
- I hope that you love this sandwhich as much as I do. Head to my Instagram to see my camera debut as I make this for the Tom Aikens 5 Minute Cooking Challenge for the charity, Only A Pavement Away.
CategoriesDairy Dinner Fermentation Korean Pickles Vegetables